The Meat Behind Enteprise Tier-1 Flash Storage Arrays
Our friends over at The Register decided to kick the tires on some Enterprise Tier-1 flash arrays. Now, we are careful in the use of these terms because you can imagine that many vendors may say that they also service this space, but the criteria for the report is clearly stated luckily as such:
- More than two controllers
- Internal interconnect fabric
- Scale-up rather than scale-out design
- High performance for large number of concurrent accesses
Using this criteria, they have narrowed the field to the following top 4 among the overall competitors:
- EMC’s VMAX
- IBM’s DS8000
- Hitachi Data Systems'(HDS) VSP
- HP’s XP, an OEM version of the Hitachi VSP
Take it to the Limit
Like the Eagles sang, this is precisely what the we like to see happen to arrays during performance testing. We see from the content of the report that I/O testing proved out some clear leaders among those being measured.
Admittedly, I prefer latency over IOPS on measurement, but these were SPC benchmark standard tests which illustrated IOPS as the key metric.